- What to see
- Where to sleep
- Travel Tips
There are around 55 museums in Barcelona that cover a multitude of themes include art, history, architecture, science, sports, war, and maritime. On this page you'll find guides to Barcelona's most emblematic museums. While you're at it take a look at our cheap apartments to stay near these cultural attractions of the city.
Keep in mind that most museums in Barcelona are free on the first Sunday of every month or every Sunday from 15h.
About Picasso and Miró
- Picasso Museum. This is one of the most visited museums in the city. You will find permanent and temporary exhibitions about the works of Picasso.
- Joan Miró Foundation. This centre for the investigation and research of contemporary art has become a cultural reference in Barcelona. It's a museum known for its architecture and permanent collection of works from Joan Miró.
About contemporary art
- Museum of Contemporary Art Barcelona (MACBA). This place is known both for its magnificent facade made up of geometric shapes and its modern art from the the twentieth century. Barcelona skateboarders have made the square in front of the museum a meeting place and you can hang around there to admire their numerous stunts.
- Design Museum Barcelona. This museum opened in 2014 and is beautiful inside and out. Its design with geometric shapes leave no one indifferent. You will find powerful exhibits on the subject of design and innovation.
About Culture and Art in general
- National Museum of Art Catalonia (MNAC). This museum is found inside the imposing building of the National Palace of Montjuic. It boasts an excellent collection of Romanesque art, considered to be the most complete in the world. The museum includes all forms of art and covers a broad historical period from Romanesque to mid-twentieth century.
- Born Cultural Centre. This museum, also known as the former Born market, has many exhibitions and cultural and artistic activities about the history of Barcelona and Catalonia.
- Contemporary Cultural Centre Barcelona (CCCB). In this Barcelona museum you will discover urban culture through exhibitions, concerts, films, lectures and festivals. In this space, a link between creativity, diversity, and the public of the city is forged.
- Museum of Cultures. In this little known museum visitors will find pieces from different countries and continents of the world in a large collection of objects. Discover the artistic and cultural diversity of the different peoples of Africa, Asia, America and Oceania.
About the Sea
- Barcelona Aquarium. This splendid aquarium consists of 5 different areas over 1,000 examples of 450 different species. There is a Mediterranean part as well as a tropical section.
- Maritime Museum. Located by Las Ramblas right by the sea in the Royal Shipyards of Barcelona, which was a space dedicated to shipbuilding between the thirteenth and eighteenth centuries. It's dedicated to the maritime history from a Catalan perspective, with boats, exhibitions, archives, maps, and other things.
Parse error: Invalid numeric literal in /var/www/vhosts/barcelonacheckin.com/preprod_web_folder/apps/matrix/application/modules/default/views/scripts/_footer_responsive.phtml on line 450