- What to see
- Where to sleep
- Travel Tips
Barcelona Zoo (Zoo)
Barcelona Zoo is home to one of the most important animal collections in Europe
This 14 hectare zoo was opened on the day of Saint Mercé, the patron saint of Barcelona, in 1892. To begin with, animals were imported from a private collection called "La Granja Vieja" (The Old Farm) and was actually located outside the city at the time in Horta. These days however, it can be found in Parc de la Ciutadella and has over 2200 animals from over 315 species, it is one of the largest collection of animals in Europe. It's lots of fun for the family in Barcelona, and is also adapted for access for people with mobile impairments.
The zoo was once home to a unique albino gorilla called Snowflake, which was white with red eyes due to a genetic mutation. When they first received the gorilla at the zoo in the 1960s, they were so unaware of the rarity of the discovery that they told the finder to "Please send more white gorillas".
Barcelona zoo is divided into seperate areas according to the needs of the animals from that particular habitat. These sections are:
- Land of the Dragons
- The Reptile House
- The Aviary
- The Farm
- The Titi Monkey Gallery
- The Gorilla Enclosure
- The Small Primates Gallery
- Palmeral (home to various tropical birds)
The zoo organizes various activities throughout the year. Among those includes educational sessions, workshops, contests, and diverse weekly and seasonal activities for children, families, and young people. There is also a an animal research program at the zoo.
- Where: Parc de la Ciutadella, 08003, Barcelona
- How to get there: A number of metro stations will take you close to the zoo entrances (Jaume I, Barceloneta, and Ciutadella). Buses include 14, 39, 40, 41, 42, 51, 57, 59, 64, 141, 157, and B-25.
- Opening times: Open from 10AM. Closing time depends on the month
- Prices: €19.60 for adults, but there are various discounts and tariffs.
- Official website: More information about Barcelona Zoo
- Accommodation nearby:List of accommodation near Barcelona Zoo
Other attractions in Born
Do you like this post?
Share your thoughts
Parse error: Invalid numeric literal in /var/www/vhosts/barcelonacheckin.com/preprod_web_folder/apps/matrix/application/modules/default/views/scripts/_footer_responsive.phtml on line 450